Vital Latics Blogs

Wigan v Charlton Match Report – Win Secured With Another “Slam Dunks”


Writer: Daniel Stacey

Wigan Athletic win thanks to Slam Dunks.

Wigan Athletic coasted to a 2-0 victory at home against in-form Charlton Athletic, with Chey Dunkley netting his third goal in two games.

Coming into the game, Wigan were buoyed following last weeks super-sub heroics from young star Joe Gelhardt, and the Tics took that momentum in their stride starting well and creating plenty of early chances.

However, as has been the case for most of the early stages of the season, Wigan’s attackers couldn’t make these chances count, none more so than big money signings Jamal Lowe and Kieffer Moore who both had opportunities to grab their first goals in Blue and White.

Despite those in front of him misfiring, it was centre back Chey Dunkley that made the early pressure count as he powered home a back post volley following another superb delivery from Charlie Mulgrew. More goals could’ve followed before the break as flying full backs Antonee Robinson and Nathan Byrne both had good chances to score their first goals for the club, the former having a penalty shout turned down also.

After the half time break, Charlton came out fighting, with Jonathan Leko and substitute Macauley Bonne looking lively. Despite the visitors revitalised attitude they were contained well by Mulgrew and Dunkley, who’s partnership is beginning to look solid for Paul Cook’s side.

And on the 70th minute mark, Dunkley was at it again, powering home an unstoppable header from a Micheal Jacobs corner to double his and his sides tally. The goal made the 27-year-old the Championships top scoring defender, as well as Wigan’s.

And from the goal, it remained a somewhat routine performance for the Tics, with the Addicks only real chances coming in the last 5 minutes. And despite having little to do all game goalkeeper David Marshall, who has come under criticism from some of the Wigan fans, made a top drawer save to deny Tom Lockyer’s point blank header to consolidate his sides 2nd clean sheet of the season.

Cheers echoed around the DW when referee Andy Davies blew the whistle for full time as Wigan secured only their second victory of the season, the first coming on the opening day. The hope for Paul Cook and his side is that they can now kick on their season and rise up the table, although a trip down to London to face high flying Fulham looks a tough ask on paper.

That said, with the form Chey Dunkley is in, who’s to say he won’t grab another on Friday night!

Share this article